Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Thoughts on a New Adventure


I’ve moved. To the South Bronx. Sometimes I wonder what in the world I’m doing here. But then I realize that the real question is, What is God doing here? That is what is important. It is only then that I can figure out what I’m doing and where I fit. Because to the outside eye, I certainly don’t fit. I am always the only white person on the train, and rarely is there another white person walking around the area. I spent two weeks here commuting back to Manhattan to babysit and barely had time to spend in my new neighborhood. It created a strange sense of tension, having slept in the poorest neighborhood in the US and then going to a 4th grader’s moving away party cocktail party that Sarah Jessica Parker was at. Needless to say, I felt way more out of place at that party than I ever have in my new neighborhood.

 

Anyhow, on my day off I was able to walk around and get a sense of the area and I realized how wonderful it is. The community here is evident. Instead of sitting inside watching TV, all the kids are out on the street playing.  People hang out outside and enjoy each other. And they’re friendly! I can’t wait to see where God is working. I know He’s working in me and is working through the ministry here. It will be so exciting to get to know the area more and really understand life here. It’s beginning to feel like home. The other interns moved in yesterday and we are all excited to get started preparing for camp!

No comments: