Thursday, December 2, 2010

Oh So Familiar

There are times when I forget that I'm in Africa. They don't come often, especially because I'm outside a lot and almost constantly hot. So this afternoon was completely refreshing. I spent two hours doing something that is a constant in my life in the States. It's something that I have, at times dreaded, but today I was excited because it's something that is so natural to me. What was this thing that made me feel so at home?

Babysitting, of course! And although we were halfway across the globe, everything that happened was exactly what would have happened at any young family's home. The kids woke up from their naps, the three year old was a bit upset that his mother had left, but got over it quickly. I made a bottle and some food to feed the baby. She didn't want to wear her bib and spent a lot of energy trying to feed herself. Her brother didn't want snack and asked to watch a movie, at which point I suggested that we play a game. I changed a dirty diaper. I could go on, but I'm sure you get the idea- especially if you've babysat before. There were a couple times someone came to the flat and I had to pull on a jacket to cover my shoulders before opening the gate to them, but for the most part, this afternoon was just full of the familiar.

And it was wonderful.

1 comment:

suz said...

This is music to my motherly ears!! Thank you so much for all you do! We appreciate you so much! :)