Monday, December 6, 2010

Stopping to Smell the Roses

Each day I seem to run into something completely unexpected. Everything in Africa seems backwards here right now and I want to be able to enjoy the strangeness of it all. I've been attempting to be better about pulling out my camera when something unexpected comes along to capture these random memories. Here's the fruit of today's attempt.

It wasn't supposed to take so long to get to school today because I was getting a ride instead of being on a bus that stops every mile to pick people up and let them off. That was just wishful thinking.

Here's what slowed us down:


Yep, this guy is pushing his car.

He is pushing his car across the bridge.

As you can see, the bridge is quite narrow.

And this bridge is decently long too, especially when you're going at a walking pace.

We were behind him when all of a sudden he started slowing down. WAY down. He knew he had run out of gas, because he instantly got out and started pushing. "You have got to be kidding me" I thought. We couldn't have been more than a quater of the way across the bridge. I've got to hand it to him though, he kept a pretty decent speed. It was just too bad that the traffic on the other side was constant and that we couldn't get around him. That is, the traffic was bad until we were almost to the end of the bridge and the road widened out anyways!

So much for getting to school quickly. Oh well, nothing around here happens quickly anyways, so I'll just to continue to stop and smell the roses of the random things that happen here!

No comments: