Thursday, December 9, 2010

One Month

I can't believe that I have been here for a month. It seems like just yesterday that I was on a plane, but it also feels like this has been home for a while now. I've figured out (for the most part) how things work around here and feel used to it.

There are definitely some things that have started to feel normal, that just aren't part of everyday life in Loveland, like:

1. Shaking hands when you greet someone. My hand just starts to come out now!
2. Drinking Nescafe. Don't judge me, but I actually like the stuff and drink it regularly. The plus side is that I enjoy real coffee ten times more when I get to have it (which was twice today, thanks Suz!)
3. Covering my head when I go outside. Not only is this a cultural thing, but I find that it keeps the sun off my neck and keeps my hair from collecting so much dust.
4. Sleeping under a mosquito net. It kind of makes me feel like I have a princess bed :)
5. Eating fresh fruits and vegetables all the time.
6. Getting fresh bread from the bakery- goodbye preservative-filled sliced stuff!
7. Car horns constantly honking.
8. Hearing and speaking a different language.
9. Being the only white person in the store, on the bus, in the market, etc. and getting asked where I am from.
10. Okay, this isn't something that feels normal, but I often have these ads pop up:
Um, no thank you, I'm a US citizen, plus, is this even legitimate? It makes me laugh every time!
11. Not throwing the toilet paper in the toilet.

I'm sure I could go on, but I have to leave things for later posts!

Overall, this month has been filled with a lot of new things, and I can't wait to see what the next 5 bring!

1 comment:

Emily S said...

Wow that month went by fast! I'm glad you are doing well. We miss you back here in the states! Hey, can you please send me your address? It might get to you late, but I would like to send you something for Christmas :)

Emily Straw