Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Month 2

I've really been here two months??? Sometimes it feels like more, and sometimes it feels like I came just yesterday. Sometimes I want to count the days until I get to go home and see family and sometimes I wish my time here would last forever. I've been trying to keep a list of the things I am learning here so that 1, I can look at it on hard days and remember that I am growing here, and 2, I won't take my time here for granted.

Here's a quick list of a few of the stranger things I have learned.
I've learned:
1. How to keep my tarha (head scarf) on without having to tie and tuck it.

2. How to walk quickly in a skirt!

3. To barter (well, sometimes I still don't ge the right prices, but oh well!)

4. To NOT cross the street at the corner. It is approximately three times as likely that I come close to dying when I cross at a corner, thus, I sometimes even walk out of my way to not cross at an intersection.

5. How to turn down marriage proposals. Yes, seriously. Don't worry though, I don't think I've made any of the men cry about it.

6. How to kill mosquitoes. I'm an expert.

7. To recognize the sound of the call to prayer.

8. To understand the Celcius scale.

9. How to slaughter and prepare a sheep. (Not that it's something I'll ever need or want to do!)

10. How to use the public transportaion system, and get home on it :)

Looking at this list, I don't think I've learned any of it is very useful outside this country/culture. Except numbers 6 and 8. And hopefully I'll never have to use number 5 anywhere else!

No comments: